Beware Spoilers Ahead!

My reviews do contain spoilers about the main stories but I do attempt to keep them at a minimum. I will not reveal any major plot points or twists unless stated at the beginning of a review.

Wednesday 20 June 2018

Amelia Sky #1



Amelia Sky is written by Jermaine M. Boyd, illustrated by Gywnn Tavares, lettered by Aw's Zakk Saam and published through Kickstarter.  I've gotten terrible comics off Kickstarter before and I've also gotten some great ones, but never have I gotten a comic that had such a good marketing campaign that it would make some movies jealous. With the mysterious "A" popping up on my Facebook feed and the ever present question "Who is Amelia Sky?" I was so excited to finally find out the answer to that question when I got my hands on issue #1 of Amelia Sky.



Amelia Sky begins with a large scale protest taking place, in New York in the year 2021, as a couple run into a nearby building with their unconscious daughter, Amelia. As the couple argue about their next course of action the military opens fire on the gathered crowd causing the building to begin to collapse around them separating them from the still unconscious Amelia. Amelia awakes a month later in a now abandoned and snow covered New York with no memories or idea of where to head next until she comes across Ace, a large dog, who seems to know exactly what to do when they are cornered by horrible monsters known as Shriekers. As Amelia and Ace flea they are rescued by Elanor, Ace's owner, who informs Amelia that she missed the end of the world.



Amelia Sky is a BEAUTIFUL comic and I am currently completely obsessed with Gwynn Tavares' art style. The colour pallet is extremely dulled almost to the point of being black and white with only the odd hues of reds, yellows, purples and greens standing out among the almost greyscale images. The panels take on a misty almost dream like quality while perfectly capturing the eerie silence of an abandoned world that makes you feel an uncomfortable shiver run up your spine. While still amazing on paper Amelia Sky seems to have been designed to be read digitally with the added aid of a lit screen to make the panels clearer and the colours brighter. So while I always love my paper comics I recommend grabbing this one digitally to truly appreciate it or just do what I do and get both.



Amelia herself is, so far, mostly a mystery in regards to who or what she is but what is clear is that she is a frightened yet determined girl as shown by her dedication to finding parents that she doesn't really remember despite all the dangers she knows she will face. Elanor, despite her sweet demeanor, is unexpectedly well experienced with firearms and clearly has some kind of military experience, which hints at a very interesting backstory, and is willing to put herself in very serious danger to help this young girl she has just met. Elanor seems like she will continue to be a great support and guardian to Amelia through the comic and I hope to see their relationship continue throughout the series. The character I love the most is Ace and if anything happens to that beautiful dog I don't think I'll get over it.


Issue #1 of Amelia Sky isn't revealing any secrets just yet and is clearly the start of what is going to be a fantastic post-apocalyptic/Sci-Fi series that I can't wait to get my hands on.



I give Amelia Sky Issue #1 4.5 out of 5 Aces.



Get your own copy of Amelia Sky here.

No comments:

Post a Comment