Beware Spoilers Ahead!

My reviews do contain spoilers about the main stories but I do attempt to keep them at a minimum. I will not reveal any major plot points or twists unless stated at the beginning of a review.

Monday 15 June 2015

Terrible Lizard - I Love Dinosaurs!

Terrible Lizard Volume #1

Terrible Lizard is an all ages, five part miniseries written by Cullen Bunn, illustrated by Drew Moss, Coloured by Ryan Hill, lettered by Crank! and published by Oni Press. I love dinosaurs and anything that plays to my fantasy of riding a friendly dinosaur I'm down with so when I saw he cover of Terrible Lizard #1 on free comic book day I had to grab one for my stack.

YEAH RIDING DINOSAURS!!
The story begins with a classic monster movie opening of a giant monster attacking a city as people flea in terror while the narrator tells us that this isn't the first or the last time giant monsters have attacked and that this is not where the story begins. We are then taken to a flash back of our main character, Jess, a week earlier. A lonely Jess decides to visit her father, Dr. Jefferson Anders, at his workplace, Cosmo Labs, where he is working on a temporal displacement experiment. As the experiment begins things start to go wrong, accidentally bringing back a giant T-Rex. The first thing the confused T-Rex spots is an unsuspecting Jess.
This isn't the first time?
The art of Terrible Lizard is nice and colourful, with well drawn characters and expressive faces but the real star of the show is the T-Rex who can look both threatening and fierce one panel and then happy and cuddly in the next.

Issue #1 really has very little in the way of looking into the characters themselves, which is not uncommon for a first issue, but so far we are given the impression that Jess is your typical lonely 14 year old with a parent too focused on work. While this is nothing new it can be done well so I'm going to cross my fingers that the characters will show a little more depth than that in the coming issues.

Issue #1 of Terrible Lizard is entirely set up but the first page does promise giant monster fights in later issues and it's really the premise of the series that will make you continue reading. Being an all ages comic there isn't much in the way of blood and guts so if you are looking for gore try Spread but if you are looking for a sweet tale about friendship you will probably enjoy Terrible Lizard.

I give Terrible Lizard a hopeful 3 out of 5 T-Rex kisses

Find out more about Terrible Lizard here.

If you could have any dinosaur as a pet which one would you choose? Let me know in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment