Beware Spoilers Ahead!

My reviews do contain spoilers about the main stories but I do attempt to keep them at a minimum. I will not reveal any major plot points or twists unless stated at the beginning of a review.

Thursday 2 July 2015

Oz Comic-Con 2015


This year I attended Oz Comic-Con held at the Melbourne Convention & Exhibition Centre and cosplayed as Princess Ulga of the Princess Ugg series. While I had a wonderful time enjoying the atmosphere, the exhibits, the stalls and all the fantastic people, I felt that there was a little bit of the Oz missing from Oz Comic-Con.

On the Saturday the line for the entrance moved fairly quickly with plenty of volunteers to scan tickets and pass out wrist bands but only a few windows open to sell tickets for the day so as I always say pre-purchase your tickets if possible because it will save you a staggering amount of time. As always when I walked through the entrance doors the excitement of the day is overwhelming and it took all my strength not to begin running around squealing like an excited 4 year old but its best to stick to a system and go aisle by aisle so you don't miss anything as you can always come back to any stall that looks interesting.

By far my favourite costume of the weekend
OCC had all kinds of stalls ranging from the usual comic book stores, figurines and costumes, the crafty home made jewellery, sketches, art and art supplies, to the unusual special effects make up, prosthesis and even 3d Modelling. While there were some fantastic local comics on display including From Above, That Bullet Proof Kid, Franken Comics, The Soldier Legacy and others it really felt to me that the convention was a little lacking in the amount of local comics in a convention called OZ Comic-Con I did however get a brilliant sketch by Craig Bruyne creator of From Above. Fortunately All Star Comics had an event on with the local comic creators that couldn't make it to OCC doing free sketches and selling their comics which gave me my local fix.
The only instructions I gave was "dinosaur making pancakes"
There was always something to do at and see including the Adam West Batmobile, Captain America's shield, Thor's hammer, the Hulk Buster and the Iron Throne. By far the most entertaining thing to watch was the stage with the Wii game Just Dance as it was hilarious watching people flail their arms and legs around trying to match the instructed movements as the crowd good naturedly cheered and laughed along.
Worthy!
On the Sunday I had my photo session with Jason Momoa at 9:30am and considering that OCC only opened at 9am I knew I would have to be there right on time or be stuck at the very back of the line, even though I arrived at 9:06am there were still people lined up ahead of me not including the people with priority passes. Now I am torn between how efficiently the line moved through and how you only had a few seconds for the photo then were shuffled out where as at previous photo opportunities at different conventions the line moved slower but you were given a few seconds to say thank you to the guest, but overall I'm going to say that meeting Jason Momoa was pretty exciting and was run rather well and ensuring both the guest and attendees did not spend their entire day waiting. I hear it was a very different story for meeting Bruce Campbell with incredibly long lines but I hear they were handled well.
Fangirl grin!
Overall the weekend went very well, was enjoyable all around and my cosplay was even filmed by the folks at It's Japan Man!.  I would have liked a little more local talent to be on display but couldn't complain about the great ones that were there.
I give Oz Comic-Con 2015 3.5 out of 5 Captain America Shields
Check out more photos from the day here,

No comments:

Post a Comment