Beware Spoilers Ahead!

My reviews do contain spoilers about the main stories but I do attempt to keep them at a minimum. I will not reveal any major plot points or twists unless stated at the beginning of a review.

Monday 20 April 2015

Star Wars: Princess Leia #1 - I really need to rewatch those movies

Star Wars: Princess Leia #1

Let me be clear that I have not watched Star Wars since I was a kid and most of my knowledge comes from the Family Guy Star Wars specials but what I do remember is Princess Leia. Princess Leia was strong, smart, she fought back, she used a blaster and she actively participated in battles, she was cool. When I saw the cover of Princess Leia #1 I was hoping it would keep true and she would stay an ass kicking rebel fighter. Fortunately I was not disappointed.
I'm not entirely sure how she gets that helmet on with that hair
Princess Leia is written by Mark Waid, penciled by Terry Dodson, Inked by Rachel Dodson, colours by Jordie Bellaire and published by Marvel comics.Princess Leia #1 takes place immediately after the end of the last movie, The Return Of The Jedi, as the ceremony to honor Luke Skywalker and Han Solo for their services comes to an end. Many of her subjects mock Leia for the lack of visible mourning for her people after her home planet of Alderaan has been destroyed by the first Deathstar. Leia soon finds out that the empire is hunting down any remaining survivors from Alderann as revenge for the rebellion's recent victory. Leia expresses her wishes to search for the remaining survivors and is told that now she would best serve the rebellion by mourning for her people and essentially being a spokesperson for the rebellion. Leia knows she can do more than just represent her people so she enlists the help of a pilot named Evaan and the ever helpful R2D2 and sets out on a rescue mission to save what little is left of her culture and her people.

Pew pew pew!
The art in Princess Leia is gorgeous with it's deep colours, expressive faces and hair that would be able to hold it's own in a Pantene commercial. The visuals are similar to that of the movies and keep you immersed in the Star Wars universe with familiar technology and clearly recognisable characters.

You may of heard of these guys
When I first started reading Princess Leia and I saw the character of Evaan was a female I was worried they were going to go the "OMG!!!!! BEST GAL PALS FOREVER BFFS!!!!" relationship between the two characters and I'm very glad they didn't as the dynamic of Evaan not being able to stand Leia as they try and work together is far more interesting than if they just suddenly became best friends simply because they are both women.
Shut down!
Comic books that tie into movies can often be of poorer quality usually suffering in the story but Princess Leia could be a completely stand alone series needing very little back story to continue with the story. Yes, we know the characters and yes we know how they got to this point but the story still makes sense if you didn't know all of these things.

I give Star Wars: Princess Leia 3.5 out of 5 Princesses with blasters.

No comments:

Post a Comment