Beware Spoilers Ahead!

My reviews do contain spoilers about the main stories but I do attempt to keep them at a minimum. I will not reveal any major plot points or twists unless stated at the beginning of a review.

Thursday 16 April 2015

Supanova 2015

This year I attended Supanova for the first time and while I have attended other conventions before I have never had as much fun as I did traversing the colourful jungle that was Supanova Pop Culture Expo. The first piece of advice I can give you is if it is a two day event try and go both days because you will just not be able to do it all in one day.


You can always tell your on the correct train when heading to a convention but the number of cosplayers you see on the train with you. Everybody was excited and chatting amongst themselves and to complete strangers, talking about costumes, tv shows, movies, comics and the celebrities that would be attending. One of the greatest things about attending conventions is getting to meet the wonderful people and share the things you love with them because tomorrow the person standing next to you will be a strangers but today they are family.

Also I got to ride on the train with Jesus

My favourite part of any convention or event are the cosplays, I just love them! I love seeing people work so hard to put their costumes together, I love seeing people take photos with their favourite characters and I even love seeing people in hastily thrown together costumes because even though they may not be able to sew or afford to buy a costume they still join want to join in the fun. I saw cosplayers ranging from a Tiny Super baby to an older lady dressed as Professor Umbridge.
This lovely lady snapped into character every time a camera was pointed at her
The amount of stalls and shops available is just unbelievable and can be overwhelming the first time you enter. The best advice I can give you is not to get to excited and spend all your money at the first stall you see, make sure you keep an eye out for smaller, independent stalls because it's a great opportunity to pick up local comic books, art, clothing, jewellery and out of the ordinary things but don't ignore the larger stalls completely as it's also a great chance to collect that elusive figurine you've been searching for.
Everybody needs a giant Hulk
One of the main reasons I wanted to go to Supanova was to meet some local comic book creators especially Mike Speakman & Matty Taylor creators of Carmen and Chris Mcquinlan creator of How To Make A Friend as I am a big fan of both of these comics. Meeting these local creators was a big deal for me and all three were absolutely lovely and really just made my whole weekend.
Not only did I meet creators that I already knew of I got to meet some other creators of some really cool books, my favourite new pick up would probably be Fly The Colour Fantastica a comic anthology put together by an all female team of 12 Australian artists. I got to meet a few of the artist and had a fantastic conversation with one of the creators, Alisha Jade, about their influences and the comic industry in general.
Alisha was a cool chick
Conventions also give you the occasional opportunity to meet some of your favourite celebrities from tv and movies. This year I got to meet Manu Bennett who plays Crixus on Spartacus and George Takei who plays Sulu from the original Star Trek series. Both were absolutely lovely and were seemingly unbothered by my weird fangirl grin face. Last year when I attended Oz Comicon I lined for hours to get my photo tokens and then again for the photo session, and while it was worth the wait, the amount of time just standing around ate into the day and enjoyment of the Comicon experience. This year I wanted to avoid spending such a large amount of time lined up so I decided to purchase my photo tokens at the end of the first day and get my photos on the second day which worked much better as I found that I could walk straight up to the counter to obtain the photo tokens and only spent about 20 minutes lining up for photo sessions. The organisers were very successful in having the crowd stay in an orderly line and ensured that the photo sessions were kept moving without feeling like it was rushed through.

Manu Bennett hugged me ^_^
George Takei said I looked like I was having fun

I picked up many fun things at Supanova this year including comic books, stickers, badges, brooches (I love badges & brooches), figurines, jewellery, art, sketches and caricatures and as much fun as all these things are the experience of meeting people I look up to in the comic world, meeting new creators, getting to spend time with like minded people, meeting celebrities I admire, the random things that happened and getting to show my mother around her first convention (that's right Mama Jane's Mama attended) were worth more than all of those things put together.

I' don't know why Death and horse head guy were facing off but they stood like this for 10 minutes
I had a marvelous time at Supanova this year and I would highly recommend going if you ever get the chance. I give my Supanova experience a 5 out of 5 Giant Iron Man suits
If you'd like to see more photos from Supanova check them out on my Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment